What is Montessori?
One hundred years ago in Italy, Dr. Maria Montessori uncovered fundamental truths about human development and discovered a successful way of educating young children. She realized that children themselves were driven to be active participants in the learning process, not passive objects to be filled with knowledge.
Montessori is not simply a system of education; it stands also as a theoretical approach to human development and a belief system about the path we must take to form a more peaceful world.
“If education is always to be conceived along the same antiquated lines of a mere transmission of knowledge, there is little to be hoped for from it in the bettering of man’s future.”
For more Family Star Montessori information:
Family Star is a different kind of Montessori school
Family Star is a unique and successful education program because of our combination of many proven strategies.
We are not just one:
- A Montessori school
- A Head Start program
- An inclusive environment
- A diverse community
- Comprehensive Support Services
We are all of these, and more.
How We’re Different
- One of very few Early Head Start grantees in the country with trained, certified Montessori teachers in both infant and toddler Montessori classrooms.
- Highly skilled and educated teachers with graduate degrees and many years of education experience
- Maintain excellent teacher: child ratios and small group size.
- 1:3 in Nido (infants), 8 total children
- 1:4 in IC (toddlers), 8 total children
- 1:10 in Primary (preschool), 20 total children
- Unique Head Start program because we serve 25% of families with means who could afford traditional private schools, but choose a Head Start program because we are their school of choice
- Inclusive community; including children with significant mental and physical disabilities
- Invested in changing outcomes not just for our children but for all children
- We believe that education begins at birth
For more information, please visit:What makes Family Star so special
Why is Montessori better than traditional?
For more information:
What do young children gain from a Montessori school?
Some of the advantages of a Montessori education for young children are:
- Montessori education enables children to develop self-control and self-regulation
- Allows children to be active learners
- Educates children to concentrate
- Encourages children to speak, read, write and be excellent communicators
- Teaches children to respect others and to contribute to community
- Empowers children to be leaders and advocates
- Aids children’s development of self-esteem and confidence
- Sustains children’s love of learning
For more information, please click on the link below.Benefits of Montessori Strengthen Your Program or Home Based Environment