Now Hiring: Maintenance Assistant (PT)
Maintenance Assistant – Part-time (24 hours/week)
Family Star is currently seeking a skilled, efficient, flexible, excellent communicator to fill our PART TIME (24 hours/week) Maintenance Assistant position.
Family Star is a nationally recognized and unique program that implements an authentic and inclusive Montessori philosophy in all of our age ranges. We serve children 2 months - 6 years of age and families across the economic spectrum in a respectful and empowering community. We are unique in that we also receive funding through Head Start which allows for an exciting environment of children and families from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. We are an inclusive school that accepts and meets the needs of children with disabilities as well. Family Star is thriving and growing and currently has schools in Northwest and Northeast Denver. We have a positive student and staff culture, passionate commitment to authentic Montessori education and a warm, supportive parent community.
Ideal candidates are ready to join our exciting and innovative learning community which holds all children and their families in high esteem. This person will assist the Facilities Manager with a variety of projects and repairs at our organization. The Maintenance Assistant will utilize their knowledge, skills and experience in performance and timely completion of technical projects; routine preventative maintenance to ensure that systems operate efficiently; and the physical condition of the facilities continue in good repair. These assignments will involve skills in general trades and the developed ability to think / work outside of the box. Family Star’s top priority is safety, and the Maintenance Specialist will always employ common sense safety practices as well as comply with applicable regulations and supervisor instruction.
Major Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The Maintenance Assistant is responsible for the execution, specification, compliance, installation, (re)configuration, adjustment, maintenance and repair (as appropriate) of trade areas (building, grounds, plant systems, plumbing, electrical, appliances/furnishings, etc.)
- Completing tasks as assigned in the work logs and as designated by the Facilities Manager.
- Ensuring that all tasks are safely completed according to industry and Family Star standards.
- Prioritizing completion of tasks based on the needs of the organization and the necessary work flow.
- Establishing and maintaining effective and cooperative working relationships with co-workers and outside vendors.
- Finding a balance of working autonomously with minimal supervision and knowing when to ask for help/guidance.
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
- Must have continuous possession of a valid Colorado driver’s license and auto insurance.
- Must have demonstrable ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described, including related work experience in the building trades.
- Must have working knowledge and use of essential math skills.
- Must have oral and written proficiency in the English language.
- Must be able to work the hours of the position based on the organization’s needs, including willingness to participate in school after-hours events, as needed.
- Must complete clearance of a background check; post-offer, pre-employment physical; and TB test.
- Knowledge and understanding of industry standards, laws, codes, and fundamentals for carpentry, plumbing, electrical, glazing, painting, masonry, furniture and appliance repair and grounds keeping.
- Knowledge of standard practices and tools used in the performance of the required tasks.
- Must have ability to effectively use a variety of appropriate hand and power tools.
- Ability to work outdoors (in inclement weather if necessary).
- Excellent customer service skills with diverse groups and populations.
- Ability to develop project scope.
- Ability to “think outside of the box”.
- Expert in 1 or more trade functions.
- Past experience in school and/or childcare facility setting.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Ability to see beyond the immediate in terms of task implementation.
- CFC certification (universal).
This position requires the ability to perform the following job requirements, with or without reasonable accommodations:
-kneeling -bending -pushing -pulling -sitting -climbing
-running -standing -mopping -sweeping - crawling -walking
-rising from kneeling/sitting position -raising arms above the head
-twisting at the waist - lifting and carrying 50 lbs. or more –working in inclement weather
****This is a PART TIME (24 hour/week), non-benefited position.****
Hourly rate is dependent upon qualifications and experience. Generous paid leave offered!
Candidates that would like to be considered must send a cover letter, a resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title Maintenance Assistant in the subject line.
Candidates are strongly encouraged to visit our website to learn more about our organization: www.familystar.net.